In Commerce City there are four seats open on city council, two at large that everyone who lives in Commerce City can run for and two Ward seats in Wards 2 and 4, where you need to live in that ward to run. Everyone in the city votes for the two at large seats and the ward seats, you need to live in that ward to vote for those ward seats. Also the position of mayor is open this year and everyone can run and vote for that office.
City Council membership and elections
The Commerce City City Council includes a mayor elected at-large and 8 councilors, 1 from each of the city’s four wards, and four at-large. The city conducts its regular municipal election every two years, in odd-numbered years, in coordination with the general election held in November. The mayoral election is held on the same date, but every four years. Both the mayor and the councilors are elected to four-year terms. Elected officials are limited, by the Colorado Constitution to two consecutive four-year terms. Terms of office begin after taking the oath of office at the regular business meeting held on the second Monday after the election.
Requirements to run for City Council:
• Citizen of the United States.
• 18 years of age or older.
• Resident of Commerce City for at least 12 months preceding appointment.
• Resident of the ward (not applicable for at-large seats) for 25 days immediately preceding appointment.
• Cannot currently be serving a felony conviction (including probation or parole).
• $964.75 per month – Mayor (will be updated May 1st).
• $843.82 per month – Council (will be updated May 1st).
• $5,000 life insurance policy.
• $5 annual recreation center fee.
Elected officials are offered the City’s rate for medical, dental and vision plans but must pay the premium.
Where do I start if I want to run?
• You become a candidate when you publicly announce and thereafter accept a contribution or make an expenditure in support of the candidacy (Art. XXVIII Sec.2).
• You must file a notarized candidate affidavit with the city clerk within 10 days of publicly announcing your intention to seek election (forms available from the city clerk’s office).
• You must submit a nomination petition to the city clerk in order to get your name on the ballot.
• For the November 1, 2011, municipal election, nomination petitions will be available from the city clerk’s office at 8:00 a.m. August 2, 2011.
• You may begin circulating petitions on August 2, 2011, and file them with the city clerk’s office no later than 5:00 p.m. August 22, 2011.
• Your petition must be signed by at least 25 registered electors within your ward or within the City for those candidates seeking an at-large seat.
Commerce City 2011 Election Calendar CLICK HERE...
Find what district you live in Commerce City CLICK HERE...
For further information about running for office, call the city clerk’s office at (303)289-3611, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.